- 45 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- ½ a small red pepper, finely diced
- ½ a small aubergine, finely diced
- 125 g brown mushrooms, finely diced
- 45 ml tomato paste
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt, milled black pepper and sugar
- 8 jumbo eggs (free range if possible!)
- 250 ml milk
- 30 ml finely chopped parsley
- 30 ml cake flour mixed with 30 ml cornflour
- 125 g diced mozzarella cheese
- 125 ml coarsely chopped basil leaves
- 250 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 45 ml finely chopped parsley
Heat the oil and lightly brown the onion. Then add the pepper, aubergine and mushrooms. Sauté until translucent then stir in the tomato paste and garlic. Add a little water if needed and simmer for about ten minutes or until the veggies are cooked but not mushy. Season to taste, remove from the heat and set aside until required.
Whisk together the eggs, milk and parsley. Mix the flour and cornflour with a little of the milk mixture into a smooth paste and stir into the rest of the egg and milk mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a roasting pan lined with baking paper that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 20 minutes or until the egg is set. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the pan.
To complete, stir the mozzarella cheese and basil into the vegetable mixture and dollop spoonsful of the mixture all over the omelette. Spread out evenly and using the baking paper, roll the omelette around the filling. If the ratatouille mixture is too much for the roll, reserve the left over for an omelette, stew or soup later in the week. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese and parsley on top. Place the omelette roll in the oven for ten minutes or so or until warmed through and the cheese has melted.
Remove from oven, slide onto a serving platter, slice and serve.
Serves 6 - 8